Bang Pa-in Summer Palace
|Copyright: Asif Rafiuddin (Ghauri)
|Date Taken: 2009-06-19|
|Exposure: f/16, 1/200 seconds|
|More Photo Info: [view]|
|Photo Version: Original Version|
|Date Submitted: 2009-07-09 1:12|
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|Bang Pain Palace dates to the 17th century when King Prasat Thong originally constructed a palace on Bang Pain Island in the Chao Phraya River. It is not known how long the palace was used before the Burmese invaded Ayutthaya in 1767 but nothing remained in 1807. King Rama IV, better known as King Mongkut (1851 - 1868) had a residence, Wat Niwet Thamprawat, constructed on the outer island which was built by his son and heir King Chulalongkorn. The present palace dates from King Chulalongkorn (1868 - 1910). Most of the palace buildings still standing today date to the period 1872 - 1889. No longer used as a summer palace by the current royal family Bang Pain is occasionally used for receptions and banquets.|
The palace consists of an inner and outer palace. The inner palace contained the residence buildings and is reached via a covered bridge (left). The covered bridge allowed the court ladies to look out without being seen. The outer palace was used for official functions.
Only registered TrekLens members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
de la netteté, des reflets, un beau ciel,
dd, île de la Réunion