|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|PARISH CHURCH OF|
NUESTRA SEñORA DE GUADALUPE
Founded in the first half of the 16th century, this church was originally a simple construction, with
no windows and with only stone seats, built into
the walls. Thanks to its age, it has borne witness to
much of Teguise’s long history of looting, arson and
violence. Having been consolidated with three naves
since the 18th century, it was once again set fire to
in 1909, and promptly rebuilt thanks to public donations. In 1914, bishop Ángel Marquina Corrales blessed the church. In its last intervention, another section
was added to the tower, thus making it the tallest
architectural element in Teguise and the religious
centrepiece of the island of Lanzarote. The granite elements (holy water stoup, font, pulpit and part of the
choir) were made by the local artist Juan Hernández
Pérez, whilst the altarpieces and the canopy of the
pulpit are the work of Eugenio Bañasco. This is Lanzarote’s principal church which, over time, has been
bestowed with an ecclesiastical heritage which is
without a doubt the most important on the island and
one of the most important in the entire region.
From: : Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade -
Tourism Institute of Spain (Turespaña)-Directorate General for Development and Sustainable Tourism
tnahari, brech has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekLens members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
good capture of interesting architecture. splendid white washed walls and roofs with bright blue sky for BG. the palm tree and tower are well balanced in the composition.
a nice postcard from Lanzarote.
Very interesting architecture photo. Very good composition, especially interesting idea to put this lamp on the right. Colours and sharpness also very good. Good work. TFS.